Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"My Last Relapse"

 
   What I did not know, when I made the decision to drink away my last thirty-five dollars over this four day period was that my new landlord had been out of the country and that all the weekly rent checks I had been giving his secretary sat undeposited in his desk drawer.

   By the second day I had spent the entire thirty-five dollars and wondered if between loose change lying around my room and whatever was left in my bank account I might be able to buy one more bottle of vodka (even a half pint would have to do) before straightening out and resuming my sobriety (Who would know?).

   Long story short: I called the bank's automatic teller to find my balance and as I sat there drunk I heard that I how had several hundred dollars in my account due to my undeposited rent checks…


   If you’re a drunk like me, you know what happened next. I went on a bender, one
ATM cash withdrawal after the other, until all the well-intentioned rent money was spent and I ended up in the hospital.
  
   Yada. Yada. Yada. Same old story. So much for some new miracle of control.
 
from All Drinking Aside (Rough Draft, Day 69)

No comments:

Post a Comment