Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sober Knowledge

    One persistent complaint I have about my Twelve Step recovery meetings is their very anti-intellectual mindset. "Don't think, don't drink, go to meetings." That's a commonly heard anthem. Religion is talked about in a 'spirituality' kind of way. And psychiatry and the medical community are not wholly admonished. But at no Twelve Step recovery meetings have I ever heard anyone suggesting to a newcomer the value of the library for books containing studies on the subject of this disease I have called alcoholism.

    Knowledge may not keep you sober, but ignorance certainly played a large part in keeping me drunk.

    Done. Another burden has been lifted.

Evening Meditation:
     My relationship with myself is much better sober than drunk. That damn Alcohol sure got in the way of my relationships, including my relationship with myself.   
 
   "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Albert Einstein

from All Drinking Aside (Rough Draft, Day 61)


1 comment:

  1. funny, when I did my stint with therapy many, many years ago, it was a self-help group therapy in a parish hall and the sign posted said only "Sunday Service 9A.M." and "Recovery Group" Monday eve 7p.m. and nothing more. we were all expected to purchase and bring our own text book.

    ReplyDelete