Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Passive-Aggressive


   Fuck you, Gentle Reader. Passive-Aggressive enough for you? Damn! When I hit bottom, what resentments I had. Not for people in my past. The fucking therapists at Lakewood, my first real hospital-slash-rehab. (I don't include 'regular' drunken hospital stays and detox stopovers,)

 
    "Write a Gratitude List," they kept saying. "Alright, Cocksuckers," I said to myself, "I'm grateful that you're a fucking asshole. I'm Grateful that this fucking Gratitude List sucks." - That kind of thing.

 
    Pumped up on Librium, I'm surprised I could react so strongly to anything.
 
Mostly, I didn't. Couldn't. Wouldn't. Too much effort would have been required to give a shit about not giving a shit. But I was grateful for my resentments. They gave me something to feel.

 
    Sobriety sucks. Fuck you. Thank you one passive-aggressive fucking ton.
       Am I nicer now? Or are my resentments more veiled?
 
    I resent my sober self, forced by my sobriety to raise myself, to grow up.

from All Drinking Aside (Rough Draft, Day 27)




No comments:

Post a Comment