Saturday, December 8, 2012

An Emotional Cocktail

(Surimi):

   Sometimes, I just don't know what to think. Jim is full of confusion and doubt. He's reliving much of his past. He needs to go there, to sort through this. But it will not be easy for him to do. Persistence. Alcoholism and Addiction do not take breaks. "Keep it simple" sounds simple, but some problems are irreducibly complex.
 
"You can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber." Many truisms, such as this, famous in the rooms of recovery, scratch the surface of truth.

 
    It's easy to scratch the surface. What Jim needs is a hammer and chisel.
 
    My past can suck me back into the drink again as easily as my disease can. Guilt, remorse, fear. All kinds of emotions from my past can suck me back into the knee-jerk responses of my past. Drink the emotions away rather than deal with them.

from All Drinking Aside (Rough Draft, Day 30)



No comments:

Post a Comment