Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 4: "Disease Management 101"


(Vatchi): Sotto, I'm only guessing, but could Jim's past have been actually far worse than he is sharing in his sobriety? I think he stretches the truth but also may be ignoring or lying or burying memories from his early childhood. What is the truth here? Where is the truth? Must it not always be more than it appears?

    Sometimes, a baby is scared by his own crying, unable, it seems, to recognize the source of the noise as his own. This can make him cry even louder and more fearfully and worse. Until a mother's arms and gentle whispers change the tide. Then sleep.

    Was my life, and my relationship to my alcohol really that much different? Crying out, the bottle would comfort me, protect me. "It's the bottle talking" was the truth and an excuse and a lie.

from All Drinking Aside (Rough Draft, Day 4)



No comments:

Post a Comment